Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Flying On Faith

Yesterday morning I received an email from Dr. Schaffer in San Diego (actually I received three within an hour). In his emails he agreed that an ablation would be the best option for Alex at this point. He has discussed Alex's CT with his Intervention Radiologist and they are prepared to give it a shot (pun intended). He asked that I call his office and set up an appointment. Yesterday I was able to get Alex's information entered into their system but I had to wait until today to get anything scheduled.

This morning when I called they were able to schedule an appointment for Friday, May 11th. But, they checked with our insurance and found that they can't even  initiate authorization for the procedure until Alex actually meets, in person, with the doctor. They can't make any promises but their plan is to try to get authorization as soon as the appointment is complete. Our plan is to stay and hope for the best. Insurance could deny the procedure, or they could drag there heels on authorization. Our only other option would be to fly home and go back again later which doesn't seem like a cost effective choice (but then again it may be). 

I'm an organization fanatic, so this is really a hard one for me. Of course, I have to keep in mind that there are no guarantees the procedure will work either. I'm really trying to "let go and let God". 


  1. Rene, I have been helped so much by you and your postings. Three and half years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Cushing's although Dr. F was not completely sure he did have us test her for HGH deficiency in 2011 and she was approved for Genotropin. Since being on HGH she has had 3 months of normal blood labs and while still seeing the doctor every other month next month he has required no blood labs - huge step.
    What I want you to know that reading your posts and asking and you answering my questions I feel you helped keep me sane, and thank you. But enough about my story. I have not checked your blog in quite a while assuming that Alex was busy with her new life and you were able to enjoy some peace, I am so sorry to hear I was wrong. Long story short I live a little less than an hour from Scripps and I would like to offer a place for you to stay while down here.
    Right now it is just my husband and I in the house and we have an upstairs with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and a living area. My husband travels a lot so please if you would like to consider this I would love to be able to pay you back for all that you have given me. Cheryl

  2. Hi Cheryl,
    I'm glad that I've been a help to you and your daughter. I'm always surprised and amazed when I hear from someone who has been following out story without me realizing it.
    Thank you so much for your generous offer! I've actually booked and paid for a condo in La Jolla, so we are all taken care of. It is so kind of you to offer; I truly appreciate the sentiment! Thank-you, Rene